Health and Wellbeing Coach
What is Social Prescribing?
Many things can affect your health and wellbeing, whether it is isolation, loneliness or anxiety. A Health and Wellbeing Advisor may be able to help you.
Health and Wellbeing Coaches work together with patients to focus on what matters to them. They connect people to community groups, agencies and charities for support, advice and companionship.
Social Prescribing is part of the NHS Long-Term Plan to make personalised care prevalent across the health and care system.
Personalised care means people have options over the way their care is delivered based on what matters to them and their individual strengths and needs.
This represents a new relationship between patients, professionals and the health and care system. It provides a positive shift in power and decision making that enables patients to feel informed, have a voice and be connected to each other and their communities.
What support could be offered?
Health and Wellbeing Coaches can help with –
• Loneliness/social isolation
• Helping promote healthy lifestyle choices
• Mobility/balance-reducing trips and falls
• Getting out and about
• Meeting others
• Emotional wellbeing
• Bereavement support
• Supporting other life changing events (i.e. moving house, retirement, births)
• Getting back into or accessing work
• Volunteering opportunities
• Help with housing or housing conditions
• Learning new skills/finding new hobbies
• Accessing music, arts, crafts, gardening groups
How could I benefit from Social Prescribing?
• Increase in confidence and self esteem
• Reduce loneliness/social isolation
• Meet new people
• Gain a sense of belonging
• Improved mental health
• Gain independence
• Get involved in your local community
• Learn a new skill/find a new hobby
• Improve physical health
• Improved quality of life
• Be able to feel more confident when out and about
How it works
A Health and Wellbeing Coach can arrange to meet you.
The meeting will be confidential, non-judgmental and casual. Together you will discuss your interests and what is important to your life and wellbeing and which activities, services and/or charities that may benefit you.
The Health and Wellbeing Coach will continue to support and encourage you along the way, including attending introductory groups so you don’t have to take the first steps on your own.
Who is my local Health and Wellbeing Coach?
Dave Goss works at Kingswood Surgery. This service is free and available to anyone, if you feel you would benefit from speaking to a Health and Wellbeing Coach than you can contact him directly on email@example.com or alternatively call the surgery on 01793 534699.
Health and Wellbeing Coaches ARE NOT medically trained and therefore cannot give any advice regarding conditions, symptoms, diagnoses or medication.
*Please note due to the ongoing Covid-19 Pandemic some face to face services may be temporarily unavailable however the Health and Wellbeing Advisors can still offer support on the telephone or via a video consultation*